THE PLANT-BASED COMMUNITY COOKERY SCHOOL
APPLICATIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED
We have an exciting job opportunity for a Community Food Manager Read on....
This is an exciting and rewarding new role as a key worker leading Made In Hackney’s community meal service.
Since the start of the COVID-19 lockdown in March, Made in Hackney has pivoted from a community cookery school providing face to face cookery classes to a free direct to door meal delivery service for households in need of support. We have committed to continue the service for another 5 months, with the ultimate aim to establish the service as a core part of MIH’s programme of activities for the foreseeable future as funding allows.
The successful candidate will have experience in team leadership and managing staff and volunteers within a community food setting. They will have experience in logistics management - from procurement to deliveries and be confident they can learn and operate a bicycle courier routing app. They will enjoy attention to detail and have a meticulous ability for complex scheduling, multi-tasking and operations management. Experience or knowledge in working with routing apps, spreadsheets and CRMs will be a distinct advantage.
The candidate will have experience in working with a wide range of people and personalities and be confident collaborating with and building strategic partnerships with diverse community organisations to learn from and further develop our community food services. They will have a passion for community building, health and wellbeing, and environmental issues – our three organisational pillars of impact. They will understand and support our aspirational food policy but most importantly be an advocate of plant-based eating.
This role is a 'key worker' role and will be required to physically travel to our meal service venue in Hackney on at least 2 days/week, in particular during any future lockdowns.
The experience of working for Made in Hackney is varied, unique and rewarding. There is plenty of room for the successful candidate to be creative and bring new ideas for developing the service.
Hours: 4 days a week
Location: Combination of Liberty Hall kitchen and home based. Note: Must be able to travel to Hackney some days (by public transport/bicycle).
Salary: £24,000/annum pro rata 4 days/week (equivalent of £30,000/annum full time)
Contract: 5 months (with continuation depending on funding)
Reports To: Sarah Bentley, Founder and Project Director
A) Team Leader
Managing and supporting the meal service logistics team, chef team and meal recipients
• Have a complete overview and vision for the community meal service
• Manage a team of logistics volunteers and support them to deliver their roles efficiently
• Coordinate and facilitate regular logistics team meetings and follow up any actions
• Coordinate and support team members to plan the meal delivery routes using a routing app and detailed delivery instructions
• Oversee and update responses from meal beneficiaries as their circumstances change and manage the phone helpline
• Liaise with Lead Community Chef about weekly menus, respond to feedback about meals and make adjustments where necessary, ensure food is culturally appropriate, varied and nutritious
• Oversea and ensure any special meal requests are met – allergies, cultural, dietary or otherwise
• Problem solve any challenges and issues that arise compassionately
Managing the cycle courier team
• Manage the cycle courier teams which consist of cargo riders (paid couriers) and cycle buddies who accompany them (volunteers). This includes matching the riders and training, and recruitment of cargo riders
• Plan the upcoming week’s courier delivery schedule and communicating it to cargo riders and cycle buddies
• Manage the cargo riders Whatsapp Group, respond to messages as necessary, and troubleshoot issues in real time during meal delivery days (currently Tuesdays and Thursdays – this is subject to change)
B) Procurement & Finance
• Manage food and PPE procurement via a mix of suppliers (some paid and some donated), including fresh & dried food and hand sanitiser & masks
• Secure and manage brand product donations, their delivery and allocation
• Communicate details of all product donations and in kind support to social media team so thanks can be acknowledged
• Assist Development Manager with meal delivery service expenses management ensuring that all expenditure is within budget
C) Building Community Partnerships
• Build strategic partnerships with diverse community organisations
• Work with a wide range of diverse people, personalities and communities
• Support and work with community members with a range of mental health issues (training and support will be offered)
D) HR, Training & Safeguarding
• Participate and contribute in wider weekly MIH team meetings and organisational strategy discussions
• Collaborate with Volunteer Manager to identify any needs for additional volunteer support on the logistics/courier team
• Ensure members of the team all have the required level of training in health & safety and safeguarding as necessary
• Report any safeguarding and data protection concerns to MIH’s Safeguarding Lead
• Experience as a team leader, managing and supporting a diverse team of colleagues
• Experience in providing and managing regular feedback in the team
• Experience in building strategic partnerships with community organisations
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent organisational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously
• Experience in using CRMs - confident and meticulous in data management
• Ability to take initiative, be flexible and think creatively on a very limited budget
• Ability to deal with, and have empathy for, a diverse range of people including at risk groups
• A passion for plant-based food
• Enthusiasm, energy and a positive attitude
• Flexible balance of office and home working arrangement;
• Training in Emergency First Aid in in the Workplace, Food Safety, and Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults and Children;
• Staff discount of 15% in Food For All Shop;
• Free attendance of MIH CookaLong classes.
1) Fill in our online application form here or
2) Send in a short 5-10 minute video application explaining why you feel you’re appropriate for the role
Important Note: Must be able to travel to Hackney some days to perform the role, even during any future lockdowns (by public transport/bicycle).
We value diversity in all forms. We therefore support and encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply for this post.
Deadline: APPLICATIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED
Online interviews: Monday 5th October 2020 (on Zoom)
Post commences: As soon as possible after appointment.