**DEADLINE EXTENDED** Programmes Manager - Apply now!
Posted Tuesday 25th April 2023...
We are excited to be sharing this new vacancy at Made in Hackney and are looking for a new Programmes Manager to join our team. Read on for more information about this great new opportunity and how you can apply.
Post: Programmes Manager, Made in Hackney (MIH)
Hours: 4 days a week
Location: Partly home based and partly at Liberty Hall, London E5 9AA
Salary: £35,000 per annum (pro-rata)
Holiday 20 days (plus bank holidays – see below for more details)
Made In Hackney (MIH) opened its doors in 2012 as the UK’s first fully vegan community cookery school. We became an independent charity in 2018 and collaborate with communities to showcase and develop skills, knowledge and inspiration to grow, cook and eat more plants.
We believe everyone should have access to healthy, affordable food that’s good for people and planet. We collaborate with communities to provide free nutritious meals and to share the skills to grow, cook and eat more plants to improve not only the health of people but the planet too.
In March 2020 we paused our usual programme to launch a Covid19 response of online classes, telephone support for those not online, and an emergency direct-to-door community meal service. We continue to provide meals and hope to be able to do so for as long as there is a need.
The heartbeat of our organisation is our community cookery and food growing classes. These sessions are opportunities to come together, share and learn new skills and cultural cuisines, deepen community connection and inspire positive and lasting behaviour change.
We are looking for an experienced Programmes Manager to join the MIH team who will lead the further development and delivery of the Community Cookery Class Programme.
The ideal candidate will have strong project management skills with demonstrable experience of high-quality programme delivery with a flair for multi-tasking and problem-solving. They will have natural relationship-building skills and experience of fostering partnerships with a diverse range of organisations and stakeholders.
They will ideally have experience of working in community education or community health and a detailed understanding of, and passion for the health and environmental issues underpinning Made In Hackney's food policy (local, seasonal, organic, plant-based). Experience/knowledge of teaching, food growing and/or environmental issues would be welcome.
The experience of working for Made in Hackney is varied, unique and rewarding. There is plenty of room for the successful candidate to be creative and bring new ideas to the charity. As we celebrate our 10th year, it is a hugely exciting time to join us as we continue to develop our programmes and approach to create more impactful experiences for our community.
Community Cookery Class Programme Management
- Lead the planning, development and delivery of themed community cookery courses, classes and activities for MIH; adapting the charity's community portfolio to meet community needs and feedback, maintain our impact and where appropriate meet the priorities of particular funders and partnerships
- Manage the delivery of multiple community programmes from end to end including; liaising with partners, briefing cookery teachers and chefs on MIH food guidelines, learning outcomes, participant/group needs logistics and gathering feedback
- Work with the Volunteer Manager to place suitable volunteer class hosts and train/supervise project assistants. , Proactively lead the development of relationships with stakeholders and partner organisations, and engage new servicer user groups, including but not limited to community organisations, local authorities, housing associations, and charities to increase reach, engagement and participation
- Work with the Development Manager utilising evaluation and impact data to identify gaps in service delivery, modifying programmes as appropriate and identifying opportunities to address local needs and barriers to participation
- Responsible for monitoring quality control and house style of all resources used in community classes and events
- Organise community outreach event stalls for MIH with suitable partners in order to recruit community class participants and raise MIH’s profile
- Attend networking events to develop strong strategic partnerships in the community
- Keep Venue Manager informed of any venue issues and equipment needed at Liberty Hall, and make proactive suggestions to improve the user experience
- Be a proactive member of the classes team and provide cover for the team when required
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Manage the process of gathering evaluation data in partnership with the Development Manager from community classes to assess progress on key outcomes to assess success of approach for further learning and adaptation;
- Support with the compilation of additional information for reports for funders and ensure all outputs and activities are delivered for secured grants
HR and Communications
- Manage the Cookery School Coordinator
- Manage recruitment, retention and development of diverse team of freelance cookery teachers to deliver classes and events in line with MIH’s delivery procedures and Food Guidelines
- Directly manage volunteer project assistants in conjunction with the Volunteer Manager
- Supervise Operations Assistant in conjunction with Operations Manager
- Signpost relevant information from partner organisations to community class participants to support their health and wellbeing
- Update website with new content on upcoming community classes and courses
- Promote classes and courses both to outreach contacts and directly to community participants, using a variety of database lists and templates in Canva
- Collaborate with the Marketing team in order to ensure community programme classes and activities are publicly promoted and featured on all marketing channels
- Financial Management
- Manage programme expenditure, ensuring all community courses, classes and activities are delivered within budget and correctly coded according to Finance Procedures
- Participate in organisational budget planning and monitoring meetings
- Report on budget variances and implement solutions to rectify them
Governance and Strategy
- Provide regular updates and attend core team and trustee meetings to provide updates regarding progress of community activities.
- Contribute to strategic discussions on the future path of the organisation
- Experience of the development and delivery of community-centred programmes with a track record of successful beneficiary engagement and positive outcomes
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with, and have empathy for a diverse range of people including vulnerable groups
- Experience networking and developing partnerships with a wide variety of organisations from the third sector, public sector, schools, primary care trusts etc
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to manage a variety of complex tasks simultaneously
- Able to maintain records and produce clear written and oral reports.
- Excellent administrative and IT skills eg. Salesforce/other CRM, Google Classroom, Google Suite, Canva)
- Capacity to inspire and motivate others
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative, be flexble and think creatively when working to maximise budgets
- Can-do attitude when faced with challenges and rapid changes that can occur when working for a small but dynamic charity
- Understanding of local food supply systems and food sustainability sector
- Experience, or at least passion and knowledge within the wholefoods, plant-based food sector
- Training provided in Salesforce, Safeguarding Adults and Children, Emergency First Aid, Food Safety etc
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) which includes counselling and physiotherapy
- Staff well-being and social activities throughout the year
- Quiet time working – the opportunity to work flexibly over the Christmas and summer period – See Annual Leave Policy for full details
- Pension Scheme
- Staff discount of 15% in Food For All Shop
We have a strong commitment to promoting diversity, equality and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups, whether these be of ethnicity, gender, identity, religion, physical ability, sexual orientation or other.
Please send a CV with covering letter to Rashmi Joshi, Operations Manager email@example.com
Deadline: 12pm on Friday 16th June 2023, though we encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be scheduling interviews as we get applications and reserve the right to close the job early.
Post commences: As soon as possible after appointment.