We're hiring! Want to be our next Operations Manager?
Monday 29th March 2021
** DEADLINE HAS PASSED - APPLICATIONS CLOSED **
We're on the look out for a new Operations Manager. Please help us spread the word. All details below.
Made In Hackney opened its doors in 2012 as the UK’s first fully vegan community cookery school. We became an independent charity in 2018 and collaborate with communities to showcase and develop skills, knowledge and inspiration to grow, cook and eat more plants.
In March 2020 we paused our usual programme to launch a Covid19 response of online classes, telephone support for those not online, and an emergency direct to door community meal service. At the peak of the crisis we provided 500 meals a day across Hackney direct to households who needed support. Today we continue to provide meals and hope to be able to do so for as long as there is need. We aim to incorporate training and jobs for local young people into the community meal service.
We are seeking a highly motivated and strategically minded individual to become our next Operations Manager. You will have experience of working in a similar role in the areas of operations, hr and governance. You will help the charity comply with health and safety requirements, safeguarding best practice and data protection and lead in developing organisational policies.
You will have a passion and flair for improving operational processes and efficiency, administering CRMs, and monitoring and evaluation to ensure we operate in the most effective way. You will not shy away from problem solving operational challenges and thrive in supporting the core team (of 9 staff) to ensure the smooth running and ongoing development of the organisation. We appreciate you may not have all the experience outlined in each category below but if you excel in a few key areas please still apply.
The experience of working for Made in Hackney is varied, unique and rewarding. There is plenty of room for the successful candidate to be creative and bring new ideas for developing services.
Operations Manager Spec
- Hours: 4 days/week
- Contract: 12 months (with intention to extend dependent on funding)
- Location: Partly home based and partly at the new MIH venue 'Liberty Hall', Clapton Commons, E5
- Salary: £30,000/annum FTE (£24,000/annum pro rata 4 days/week)
- Holiday 20 days (plus bank holidays – see below for more details)
HR & Training
- Oversee staff recruitment procedures, including supporting application, interview and induction procedures with a focus on being a fully inclusive employer;
- Issue and renew staff contracts;
- Keep abreast of latest guidance in employment law and HR legislation;
- Oversee training requirements, bookings and purchase of licences, and support core team to keep an oversight of when training is required eg. Food Safety in Catering, Emergency First Aid, Safeguarding, Gender, Diversity and Inclusion, Anti-Racism;
- Review, update and create risk assessments and organisational policies on a regular basis to incorporate latest government guidance and legislation (eg. Health & Safety, Safeguarding) and ensuring they’re reviewed by the Board on a regular basis;
- Ensure staff DBS checks are updated and supporting core team to keep an overview of outstanding checks needed in their project teams;
- Safeguarding Lead – conduct regular reviews of safeguarding children & young people and safeguarding adults policy and procedures, oversee safeguarding training for staff and volunteers and complete regular refresher training to comply with best practice;
- Data Protection Lead - ensure Data Protection Policy is updated and adhered to by everyone in the organisation, regularly update and respond to any data breaches;
- Oversee any organisational structure reviews and ensuring a system is in place for staff to receive regular and motivational feedback, and feel supported and able to perform their role;
- Lead on implementing staff wellbeing initiatives eg. socials, team building days etc;
- Coordinate regular team meetings and arrange meeting venues where necessary, to ensure effective communication and mutual support.
Salesforce Admin (Non Profit Success Pack)
To be the main point of contact for technical support and training needs for core users (9), and to develop the salesforce platform to improve organisational efficiency, relationship management and income generation. Intensive training will be provided to support this role.
- Act as the system administrator for a team of 9 users
- Manage admin functions including assigning new users, creating reports, dashboards, surveys and application forms etc
- Onboard and train new users;
- Create training resources, and grow level of expertise among the core team;
- Implement custom features when new work streams/programmes are set up and as organisational needs grow;
- Oversee support partnership with Economic Change (technical support and training provider).
Lead support to Board of Trustees for housekeeping issues such as assisting Chair with trustee meeting agendas, setting meeting dates and reminders, reviewing minutes, keeping Charity Commission website updated, and assisting with trustee recruitment, induction and training, and board reviews etc;
MIH has a part time Venue Manager who is responsible for the general upkeep and maintenance of the ‘Liberty Hall’ kitchen venue. The Operations Manager will oversee and support them on key areas of venue management in the following ways:
- Manage relationship with venue partner Clapton Commons to ensure key services of venue are running smoothly, (eg. internet, energy provider, refuse collection) and represent MIH in oversight committee meetings as necessary;
- Ensure venue and office equipment is safe to use and repaired/replaced/PAT tested in a timely manner;
- Ensure venue meets latest Covid Health & Safety requirements, Fire Safety Standards and is fully accessible;
- Support acquisition of new kitchen equipment when required, such as ovens, hobs etc either from a donated source or purchased from a supplier;
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Create online surveys for each newly funded programme according to their unique reporting requirements;
- Create welfare surveys for the community meal service;
- App Integration – use apps such as Mailchimp and 123 Form Builder (a survey software) and integrate with salesforce;
- Create reports and dashboards in salesforce to present programme outcomes for funder and trustee reports and the MIH Annual Report.
- Organise quarterly budget meetings between core delivery team and Finance Director to go through budget and expenditure;
- Ensure finance team understands the requirements and deadlines of board meetings and provide reminders to them for preparing the required financial reporting.
- Experience in a similar Operations role;
- Experience in HR Policies and Procedures;
- Confident and tech savvy in using and training others in a CRM system;
- Confident with numbers and financial planning;
- Experience of managing multiple and simultaneous programme areas;
- Ability to take initiative, problem solve, and think creatively;
- Experience in delivering training (either one to one and/or in a group);
- Capacity to motivate others;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with, and have empathy for, a diverse range of people;
- Enthusiasm, energy and a positive attitude;
- Flexible working arrangement with allowance for working from home
- Training provided in Salesforce, Safeguarding Adults at Risk and Children, Emergency First Aid, Food Safety etc
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) which includes counselling sessions and physiotherapy
- Staff Wellbeing and social activities throughout the year
- A discretionary summer holiday allowance that is additonal to the annual leave allowance – See MIH Annual Leave Policy for full details
- Pension Scheme
- Staff discount of 15% in Food For All Shop
We have a strong commitment to promote anti racism, diversity, equality and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from underrepresented groups, whether these be of ethnicity, gender, identity, religion, physical ability, sexual orientation or other.
** DEADLINE HAS PASSED - APPLICATIONS CLOSED **
Fill in our online application form
OR Send in a short 5-10 minute video application explaining why you feel you’re appropriate for the role
Deadline: 5pm Monday 17th May 2021
Interviews: Monday 24th May 2021
Post commences: As soon as possible after appointment. (Latest by 1st July 2021)